Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sassy Satire

We were a little off the wall in class today. In fact, we were "satirical." I didn't quite get the deeper meaning of Menippean satire because of the hysterics, so I ventured on my own and searched it out.

One of the examples given today was T.C. Boyle's "Modern Love." Luckily, I found a link to the short story and was able to read it. I really enjoyed it, but I still didn't see the link to Menippean satire. To me, the story was plainly satire. So, what's the difference?

I took from several definitions that satire can be a whole piece (novel, short story, poem, play) or it can be only a small part of that piece. Menippean satire consists of the whole piece and is based on philosophical arguments and traditional culture.





No comments:

Post a Comment